Shallow foundations are the foundations that have a depth less than or equal to its width.
Advantages of Shallow Foundation
Foundations with shallow depths are beneficial for some aspects. Some advantages of shallow foundation is listed below.
- Shallow foundation is convenient for foundations having depth is equal or less than the foundation width.
- It is used if bearing capacity of soil is high at shallow depth.
- For compressive soils, it helps to reduce settlement.
- No piling is required. So it reduces a great cost.
Disadvantages of Shallow Foundations
This foundations can not be used everywhere. The major disadvantages of shallow foundations are given below.
- If weight of structure is high and load of the structure is distributed unequally.
- The bearing capacity of top surface soil is less.
- If sub-soil water level is high and it is uneconomical to pump out the water from the hole or canal.
- If there is a chance of scouring as the structure is near sea or river shallow foundation can not be used.