Steel trusses and wooden trusses are used frequently in structural designs. It sometimes become confusing what we should use under what conditions. Generally, a steel truss is used in a span greater than 10 meter. You may be asking yourself why a span greater than 10 meter. Actually in larger spans using wooden truss is uneconomical and also the truss becomes very heavy.
Related: Steel Truss vs Wood Truss
At present, steel trusses are used in both smaller and larger spans due to the folowing reasons:
- Steel trusses are cheaper.
- Construction process is simple and straight forward.
- It provides greater safety to fire as steel is more fire resistant than wood.
- It is stronger than wood.
- Steel strusses are more durable than wood trusses.