Those days are gone when cracked, old, discolored or imperfect concrete was removed or replaced. Today, thanks to concrete resurfacing, you can have your concrete transformed into a new, decorative concrete at a lesser cost than you would spend on replacing or removing it. With concrete resurfacing, the old drab concrete can be given a facelift with any number of color and patterns options available. With this in mind, the next time you are faced with a driveway, garage floor, sidewalk or patio that needs a facelift, look to concrete resurfacing as opposed to replacing or removing the same.
Thanks to the self-leveling and bonding properties in concrete resurfacing, the prospects of utilizing it are even better. In essence, the resurfacing material is applied on the prepped existing concrete area and it will bond into place when dry. Generally speaking, concrete resurfacing is done by use of polymer-modified overlay systems or cement-based overlays. With the polymer-modified overlay, cement is blended with resins, sand and other additives to give it an improved performance, aesthetic qualities and improve wear resistance.
Related: How to repair concrete driveway
With concrete resurfacing, there are numerous colors, patterns and textures to choose from so any type of décor is taken care of. After the resurfacing is done, a sealer needs to be applied in order to ensure that the finish is water resistant and durable.
In case you wish to do the concrete resurfacing by yourself, below are a few pointers to get you started in the right direction:
- You need to prepare the surface to be resurfaced. You need to clear away any debris or loose pieces. This can be done by sweeping away the same.
- To further ensure that the concrete is clean, you need to pressure wash the concrete and check that it is free of any grease or other removable stains. Please note that acid or chemical washes are not advisable since they may affect the properties of the old concrete hence negatively affecting the adhering process.
- Once you are done with the cleaning stage, next is the prepping stage. It is better to tape off any edges that won’t be undergoing concrete resurfacing.
- Next, prepare the concrete mix by following the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
- Once it is thoroughly mix, you are now ready to apply the concrete resurfacing mix.
- Pour the mix over the area and proceed to evenly spread with in order to create a smooth and even finish. When dry, you may also wish to add any desired decorative treatments.
Related: How to mix concrete manually
Ultimately, the value and livability of a home can be brought up a notch or two thanks to concrete resurfacing and it can be done both indoors and outdoors. It saves you money and time and it is easy to apply. In addition, different designs and colors can be incorporated hence helping to increase the value of the home. Much as you can apply the concrete by yourself, it is more advisable to let a professional do it if a more desirable result is to be realized.