Moment and bending moment are not same. There are differences between bending moment and moment which are explained below.
- Bending Moment is Internal Moment produced due to load whereas Moment is pure Moment.
- take the example of beam- due to load coming on beam , the beam tends to bend. the moment induced due to this is one type of bending moment.
- take an example of cantilever chajja. A person standing on chajja induces a twisting moment in lintel supporting chajja. This lintel beam has to be designed for bending moment as earlier said and the twisting moment or say moment.
- Moment is simply the product of lever arm and force but on the other hand bending moment is the response of an object on applying any force. In layman language take a beam, on applying certain flexural loading there will certain compression and tension above and below neutral axis, taking the couple of these stresses gives a moment response equivalent which is the bending moment.
- All bending moments are moment, but all moments are not bending moment.
- You must login to post comments