While modern technology can be considered an ambiguous phrase, it simply refers to any type of technological advancements or scientific developments that have been made since the passing of the Middle Ages. It is also used often to refer to the contemporary advancements made in computer devices.
Importance of Modern Technology
Civilization has evolved because of modern technology. The way we work and play has been revolutionized as has the way we learn and communicate. Some people argue that without modern technology, live as we know if would cease to exist. They are right in some instances. However, there are many people choosing to live off the grid, which means living without modern technology or conveniences. For most people though, it has made life easier and more enjoyable. Both the advantages and disadvantages of modern technology should be considered to understand the effect of tech advancement.
Advantages of Modern Technology
There are many advantages of modern technogy that we see in our daily life. The major technology benefits are listed below.
- Information is Easy to Access: We are living in an age of information overload and it is easy to access almost any information that you need through the internet or smaller internal intranets.
- Innovation and Creativity Are Fostered: With the challenges of technology, the brain must react quickly to the amount of new and interesting data that is being presented. Creativity is encouraged through blogs and sites such as Etsy.com and people share ideas across the internet.
- Communication is Improved: People cannot function without some form of communication and modern technology has made it possible to communicate across hundreds and even thousands of miles through telephones, e-mail, video conferencing and text messaging. Social networking is on the rise as well, putting your life out there for all to see your activities.
- Improved Lifestyle: Modern technology has simplified lives by having sturdier construction of homes and added conveniences to make day to day activities easier. Indoor plumbing and central heat are just a few examples.
- Better Entertainment: Modern technology has improved the world of entertainment. From radio to television to video games, advancements have made it possible to bring the latest and greatest in entertainment right into your home.
Modern Technology Disadvantages
Despite the pros, there are also many disadvantages of modern technology. Here are some of the technogy cons described briefly.
- Loneliness is Increased: Social isolation is becoming commonplace as more and more people are spending time on social networking sites or gaming sites instead of fostering real life relationships. As modern technology advances, people are forgetting how to interact with one another. They are more comfortable with a phone in their hand or a keyboard at their fingertips instead on having a face to face conversation.
- Jobs are Lost: As modern technology evolves, humans are being replaced by robots in the workplace. Many packing firms use robots on the production lines instead of actual people. Businesses save money by having fewer employees, but people have a harder time finding work.
- Competency: People are losing skills and creativity as we become more and more dependent on things such as calculators and spell check. Our brains do not have to calculate simple math problems or spell words correctly when there are tools to help with those simplistic tasks.
- Weapons of Mass Destruction: Modern technology has been the main contributor to increasing violence and endless wars. With the manufacturing of modern war weapons and weapons of mass destruction, terrorists and other criminals will use them for selfish reasons.