Construction project management (CPM) or construction management is the overall task of coordination, planning and controlling the whole project from the initial stages to the completion. It is basically aimed at meeting every client’s requirement in a lieu to produce financially feasible or functional project. The construction management industry is composed of five sectors. Namely:
- Heavy Civil
Constructor manager holds the key and complete the process with all responsibilities in each and every sector. In each and every sector constructor manager differs in his or her knowledge but the role is quite similar. Each has different materials, sub-contractors, equipment and various locations.
Main Role or Purpose of Construction Project Management
Construction project management or CPM is managed or controlled by several contractors in each and every field. Contractors are selected based on bid and qualification. The project also ensures full public safety, cost management, decision making, quality management, application of human resources mathematics and drawings.
The main functions of construction project management includes the following:
- Fix the objectives of the project and plan accordingly. All such are finalized with the proper scope, scheduling, budget setting, and required performances ad also selecting the right project participants.
- Maximizing the efficiency with proper utilization of materials, equipment’s and procurement of labor.
- Implementing every single task through proper planning, estimation, construction, contracting and designing.
- Proper communication and mechanism should be developed to resolve all conflicts.
Key Features For Project Planning
According to instate, there are mainly nine features or specific areas that need to be considered as a part of construction project management to ensure every single aspect. It should be assimilated within the strategic place to get effective result. Here are the features:
- Proper integration just to make sure every element related to the project are coordinated and managed effectively.
- Proper scope to include all related work within the project.
- Sufficient and effective time allotment to make proper project schedule.
- Cost control or proper budget control is also important, and it can be done by identifying the proper resources and effectively controlling those.
- Quality is of utmost interest to ensure the functional requirements.
- Human resources are too effective as they can employ the right and most appropriate personals.
- Communication is also very much important to eradicate all complexities or conflicts within the project.
- Proper risk management to lessen the potential risks that are involved within the project.
- Obtaining the necessary resources from all external sources to complete the project effectively.
Construction project management is very challenging and complex problem that needs to be managed with utmost efficiency. The project management should have excellent planning skills, decision-making capabilities, communication skills to convey the message clearly and effective strategy making capabilities along with the stakeholders. However, there are several other tasks and stages that may change alongside the project and that all should be handled by the project manager. As a part of the management, the project manager should have solid leadership skills, well-defined scope, responsive team, an appropriate working environment along with proper planning and implementation to count together for a successful project success.